Saturday, December 17, 2011

Goodbye to a Dear Friend ~


Sooooooo . . . . .
It's the end of an era.  For 86 years the farm was in our family.  In Kansas.  My grandpa purchased it in 1926.  It was the one consistent home in our family.  No matter where we all moved - we could always come back to the farm . . . . . to our roots.  And be welcomed with open arms! 

I spent much of last year there - working, cleaning, sorting, getting all my tons of stuff out of storage from there.  Fortunately, my cousin Doug was a tremendous help in this endeavor!  To say it was a HUGE undertaking would be the understatement of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But  . . . . . . . it is done.  And it went well, praise the Lord!  And nobody got hurt, or too overly dirty, or . . . well, you know . . . all the things that can happen in an old farmhouse!  And yes, I cried. 

But then . . . . .
the new owners moved in.  In such a lovely way they have - and now the old place is coming back to life!  Glorious life!  The old dead trees, shrubs, weeds, etc. are gone - as are the falling-down out buildings & barn, and dilapidated metal garage .  As I drive past it down the highway now I see a charming scene of the precious old farmhouse, with lush fields and just a few pretty trees around it . . . . . and golden wheat fields all around.  Life is good.  Just as it should be!

2 comments:

  1. Bitter, sweet dear Pauline. It is nice that someone has bought it to bring it back to life and keep it looking nice. As you drive by you can cherish all the memories of the wonderful times spent there. I am glad it sold and will be saved and not torn down...that would be a terrible shame if that had happened. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mumsy! We were so concerned that it might be razed - but the new owners hobby is restoring old houses - so yes, that is a big blessing! I do have mixed emotions whenever I drive by - but more happy than sad now! But it will always be "Grandpa's Farm" to me! Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Heirloom Seeds